19th December 2017 in News
Junior Doctor Collaborative Bank Live in the North East
This week the North East Collaborative Bank, powered by Liaison’s TempRE service, has gone live.
Branded as ‘Flexishift’, this initiative is led by the North East Lead Employer Trust (LET) to put control and structure in place to manage the additional hours worked by junior doctors across the region. There are currently five trusts participating:
- County Durham & Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
- Gateshead NHS Foundation Trust
- Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- North Tees & Hartlepool Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tees Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Driven and enabled by Liaison’s TempRE service, the initiative will enable Flexishift to deliver a number of objectives set out by the LET and North East trusts.
Control & Compliance
- Immediate notification to trusts where doctors are booked to work should GMC issues arise
- LET able to control at what grade and specialty doctors can work additional shifts depending on experience
- Adherence to the workings hours of the Junior Doctor Contract
- Reduction in the use of agency doctors
- Regional pay rate visibility with the aim of setting regional pay rates
Management of Junior Doctors
- Feedback from trusts to the LET about doctors’ performance and capabilities for use at training reviews
- Doctors able to experience working at alternative trusts in the region
- Identification of specialties with staff shortages for future training campaigns
- Doctors able to control their availability through a calendar so only getting notification of suitable shifts
Liaison Account Director, Fiona Williams, who has worked closely with the LET to facilitate the project, commented: “We are receiving around 30 applications per day from specialist doctors in training and this will continue to grow. Our TempRE reporting will also be giving the LET valuable insights into the junior doctor temporary staffing situation. We can report back on regional skill shortages, rates paid and reasons for vacancies happening to help with all trusts’ workforce planning across the region”.
Liaison leads the NHS market in temporary workforce services and has more than 70 NHS trusts and health boards using its TempRE services. These services include direct engagement, medical locum banks and collaborative banks and weekly payroll.
The LET’s dedicated Flexishift website can be viewed here: www.nhsflexishift.co.uk